spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Toyota dealership experience and BMW experience.

I have a 2000 bmw 323i 2.5l inline 6. My car keeps giving an

Customer Question

i have a 2000 bmw 323i 2.5l inline 6. My car keeps giving an error code p0340 which is the cam shaft sensor. My local mechanic replaced with a oem sensor from bmw but it hasn't fixed the problem.
Category: BMW
Expert:  spoooolin replied 5 months ago.
Sorry you are having issues with this still. Dont worry, we will get it figured out!First, thats good he used an OEM part, this cars are VERY picky due to the incredibility tiny tolerances they have for failure. After replacing the sensor, the mechanic should clear the faults, and then re-set the adaptions through the scan tool and also relearn the camshaft / crankshaft correlation. Once he does that, then you should be good to go! If he has already done that, and you are still having issues with the codes coming back, you have a wiring issue and he did not diagnose the car correctly and I can walk you through all that.Thank you and have a good day!! Please do not forget to rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time and answers on this site. Once you do rate me, This thread will stay open so you can come back and ask questions after you speak to your mechanic.
Sorry. I did not mean to opt out, that was my mistake.