Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

We just replaced valve cover gaskets on 2007 E66 N62. All

Customer Question

Hi, We just replaced valve cover gaskets on 2007 E66 N62. All seemed to go normal except now we have the DTC 2A90 and rough idle due to VANOS.
JA: Is the rough idle consistent or more erratic? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Actually I was not finished, accidentally hit enter. So far we have swapped sides of both cam position sensors, VANOS solenoid valves but the 2A90 code for the right bank exhaust cam remains. I have also found information to check if the cam adjuster is locked when engine is off. I have not yet checked that. Also, I have reviewed the BMW TSB to replace 4 cam position sensors & crank position sensor. Wow that about $600 in parts just to try? At this point I would welcome an experienced opinion. Thanks, Josef
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I am a repair facility.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's in previous text.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: That's the only issue. DTC 2A90
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.

Hello Im Chris and I will assist you

After you were done with the valve covers did you learn the stops

Also pull out the solenoids and blow them out with shop air a lot of times things will get into them it has happened to me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
re-learned stops, reset control unit, cleaned VANOS solenoid valves and swapped sides, swapped sides of cam position sensors. fault remained on bank 2, left bank. In my first description I mistakenly mentioned right bank, it's the left as DTC 2A90 indicates.

did you check connections on can sensors.

Ide clean the solenoids again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If there is an issue with one of the solenoid valves, the problem would have changed banks when I swapped sides. Also, we have cleaned them twice.
Have you ever performed the BMW TSB to change all 4 cam sensors along with crank position sensor?

Yes I have at the dealer. Not since then though becuase its too expensive. I guess at this point you really have no choice. Did you clear all adaptives under ECM?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Chris, so you had the 2A90 fault, tried all the basics as we did and then replaced 4 cam sensors and crank position sensor. Did that then correct the problem?
I did clear adaptations as well.

Yes it did but this is BMW. Ive seen the weirdest things. Can you scope out the sensors?

What bothers me is that you only changed valve cover gaskets. The car didnt come in with the code.