Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks

Greetings, 2010 328i convertible. The rear trunk cover does

Customer Question

Greetings, 2010 328i convertible. The rear trunk cover does not lock properly and the roof cannot deploy.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes, happened all of the sudden.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Normally, the trunk cover locks electronically after closing it manually. There is a whizz sound and the cover is locked tightly to the chassis. Now, when closing the trunk, it is loose. It does not open as there is also a mechanical latch but it shows open on the display and the retractable roof cannot be activated.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have the time and the tools....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: No, no other issues.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

BMW has release a service bulletin dealing with an alignment issue with the trunk latch that may be related to the problem you are having. I have enclosed it in the link below for your review. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Greetings Ron,
thanks for your answer. I checked the alignment visually and it seems OK. I tried several times, applying pressure on the lid when closing. The motors in the lid lock assembly do not trigger (I do not hear them working) so the lid in only held loosely by the two latches.
Also, both lights in the trunk do not lit up when trunk lid is open but the glove compartment light does work (same fuse, F77). I checked the fuse and it's OK.
Do the motors in the lid lock assembly share the power with the trunk lights ?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

There are two fuse the power the whole system, one is the F25 fuse located in the interior fuse panel and the other is the F 106 located in the rear fuse panel in the trunk. See the system wiring diagrams in the links below, copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
both fuses are ok. I am out of ideas.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Well at this pint this is going to requires some hands on testing . If you would like me to open the post back up for you and see if someone else has something different to offer let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand. Yes, please open the post.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Sure thing. Doing so now.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Greetings Ron, just to let you know that the problem was really difficult to find. One of the two microswitches in the soft close assembly was not sending the close signal. A bypass fixed it temporarily.