Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Bmw x3 wont start lights come on and locks work JA: Does the

Customer Question

bmw x3 wont start lights come on and locks work
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: engine does not turn over battery is good
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i put key in ignition turn to on lights radio etc. comes on no start
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i dont know
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: no radio volume does not work sometimes after it rains
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
do you get any response whatsoever when you try to start?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
what year and model is your x3?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2006 x3 bmw vin WBXPA93406WG74692
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
93,000 MILES
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
WISH I COULD ADD VIDEO TO THIS
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
there are a lot of things that can cause this. I am happy to list them out for you and also provide you with some simple things to try , but there is no guarantee you will be able to avoid having the vehicle towed for professional diagnostics and repair. would you like this information? would it satisfy your query?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I PUT KEY IN START FOR 60 SECOND REGULAR KEY AND PLASTIC KEY
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HAD A JUMP WASNT BATTERY ISSUE
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
hi, can you please reply to my question above: there are a lot of things that can cause this. I am happy to list them out for you and also provide you with some simple things to try , but there is no guarantee you will be able to avoid having the vehicle towed for professional diagnostics and repair. would you like this information? would it satisfy your query?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
hello? did you want this info?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
hello? I am not getting replies from you.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.. .I am providing this information in good faith, per your request having explained it may not be fully possible to rectify at home. thank you for your attention to the rating requirement to ensure I am credited for my time and answer..I am providing this information in good faith, per your request having explained it may not be fully possible to rectify at home. thank you for your attention to the rating requirement to ensure I am credited for my time and answer..The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems. Also, try locking/unlocking the driver’s door a few times using the mechanical key..Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump start or the key in door unlocking, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.,1) bad key - you have already tried two so this isn't your issue.2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start. Try rocking the car back and forth in park a couple times.6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.7) bad ignition switch/cylinder – also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that caseOf course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or problem with the engine control computer or other control module, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.The best path forward, if one of the simpler items above does not pan out, is to have the car scanned with a BMW scan tool that can check all systems live and determine where the start signal is dropping off / getting inhibited.most likely the issue is the starter or immobilizer..Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating