Eurocar inc
Eurocar inc, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  L1 L2 ASE SENIOR MASTER TECHNICIAN
19871424

760li: i have a 2003 760li im working on and it has a code

Customer Question

i have a 2003 760li im working on and it has a code that keeps coming up p0192, or in the snap on side of my scanner code 290f. its my bosses car and he has gotten two sets of hpfp and same code, is it possible that he keeps getting failed pumps. are you able to give me some direction with this issue. the pump pressures at idle are 120 140psi, and the pump pressure set point is in the 400psi range. i would think they should be the same or almost.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi , can you tell me if you are referring to abs pump or power steering/hydro pump??

ok you talking about the high pressure fuel pump , if you replaced 2 pumps I doubt they are bad if the were new, not used.but sound like u have a gaz leak on rail somewhere, look in the engine compartment and follow the fuel rail to see any evidence of fuel .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuel pumps were all bought used with no history of them. No fuel leaks from any hoses lines and rail will hold pressure with engine off.

Do u have a fuel gauge hooked up to it now?

Those fuel pump are common failure on this car. My suggestion is to replace with new fuel pumps or they actually make a kit to rebuild those pumps, you can buy the kit off ebay for them because they are expensive new.But you always want to troubleshoot the problem before buying parts If you have a fuel gauge you want to check the fuel pressure under load to see if the pressure is holding under load.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where can I hook my fuel pressure gauge at on the engine

There is a shradder valve ( looks like a tire valve stem with plastic cover on it that u can unscrew) on the fuel rail ,I m goin to try and send you a picture of the location of it.

You will have to take the plastic cover over the engine bay to see it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have that front cover off already

I m having problem downloading pictures ,trying to fix it , but if you open hood the plastic cover that covers the middle of engine under that is where the fuel rails are located, the pressure test port valve is on the fuel rail .Another way to check without doin that is thru A Diagnostic Scanner that is Bmw specific and I doubt u have that but any foreign car repair shop should carry that .

Just curious ,You mentioned the pressure being 120 to 140 psi earlier , How did u retrieve those numbers ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a snap on verus edge and I have data pids of actual fuel rail pressure and desired fuel pressure. What should my fuel rail pressure be at idle.

2 to 3 bars

How many miles on vehicle if I may ask?

Do this vehicle suffer from lack of power under acceleration? like when u give it a kick down?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
120k and yea it has a stumble on acceleration. Code po192

You need two people to do this one drive one look at scanner ,then the driver give it a kick down the passenger look at scanner pressure values and see at that moment what is the fuel pressure I bet u it will drop which confirms a lack of fuel when demanded ?I say since u have used pumps and we know its a common failure , u need new pumps and new fuel filter ,as long as this is the only code , a bmw scanner will be more specific and your snap on is great I have one myself but it is more towards our domestic vehicle here in the u.s Do the test drive and I believe you should confirm the pressure drop but my only concern is the snap on scanner data is not that great on refresh rate and you might not catch it on the scanner if it didn't refersh screen quick enough,give it a shot and let me know.

I cant stress enough about making sure the 192 or 290f are the only codes because if there is other codes we will be going down the wrong path of troubleshooting

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only that code 290f. P0192 on the global side

also look at you fuel trims short and long fuel trims and make sure the short term fuel trim is within +/- 6 at the most on IDLE.Also let me know what are the values of the fuel trims at idle

That's good on the codes .

DME RAIL 1 PRESSURE 3.0 (MPa) ( That's 435 ) , DME RAIL 2 PRESSURE 3.0 bar (43 psi) after start and idling that's healthy.

do u have long cranking times in the morning when its cold , like do u feel it cranks up & fire quicker after you drove it and got hot ?

I did more research on the issue , if that don't pan out for you let me know , I can go deeper in the issue but I will need you to do few simple test if it got to that . Let me know what happens with it , thanks

Hi, hope I was helpful to you .Please RATE ME ,since that is how we get compensated . A 5 STAR RATING IS APPRECIATTED ,Please let me know if u need anything else.Thank you

Expert:  Eurocar inc replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Do you still need help on this ? thanks!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I haven't been able to positively confirm that it's the high pressure pumps. I ordered a new fuel filter and regulator. I checked fuel pressure and have 80 running but the pressure bleeds now fast

on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the power steering reservoir is a set of vacuum check valves remove the lower hose and see if there is fuel at the check valves please

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No fuel checked the vent and purge valves

ok i do need you to look at the measured values while running of the fuel rail pressure sensors. what are the readings please? pic will help out alot!!

hey any new information about the fuel pressure readings?

josh do you have any new updates on this issue !!??

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.