sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My radio in my 1998 540 i won't turn on got clock display but

Customer Question

My radio in my 1998 540 i won't turn on got clock display but radio wont work. .it's stock radio
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I hav a stock radio serial number 65.282-8 360 738 radio wont power on but hav power going to unit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check all fuses see if ter som kind of code. .I hold the memory button down I still get nothing I replaced with same model radio I get same thing.
JA: No, I use streaming services like Pandora.
Customer: Ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: No thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the radio won't turn on then the problem either has to be an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it. You could have a blown fuse, wiring or connection issue preventing the radio from turning on, and it's very possible that you got a bad replacement radio.Did you see this radio work in another vehicle?Have the power and ground feeds been tested?