Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

My abs and 4x4 light wont go off why replcae both sensor and

Customer Question

my abs and 4x4 light wont go off why replcae both sensor and pads
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On my bmw x5 cant reset those lights why
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What diagnostics have been carried out this far?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
When these warning lights come on together, it indicates a fault within the ABS / traction control system on the car. They are not related to the mechanical brakes so replacing pads and sensors will have no bearing on this
There are two very common things that cause these lights to come on together, a faulty wheel speed sensor or a failure within the ABS / traction control module itself. This warning is not specific to any one thing, it is only to inform the driver a fault is present.
You will need to have the fault memory read from the car to determine exactly what your issue is. If a wheel speed sensor is determined to be the problem, then you will need to replace that sensor (about $150).
If the module is determined to be the problem, then the module itself will need to be replaced or sent out to be fixed. Two good places that fix these are Module Masters and BBA Reman. You can find both on google. They charge about $300 to repair one of these modules. Replacing the module with a new one will cost around $1000, so sending yours out to be rebuilt is the best option should the module turn out to be the failed component.
Again, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to confirm 100%, but chances are (95%+) the problem is either a wheel speed sensor or the abs/traction control module.
Please be sure to drive carefully as you do not have ABS or traction control functionality on your vehicle if these lights are on.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
If there are no additional questions please kindly click on a positive rating