Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2015 x5...something is rattling around inside center console

Customer Question

2015 x5...something is rattling around inside center console wood side trim. How to remove wood trim safely?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you think it is a foreign object? did you notice anything that fell down in the trim panel? or are you not sure if it is a foreign object or not? The reason I ask is, BMW basic warranty will likely cover this if the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it. If your missing something and your fairly sure it fell into where the rattle is coming from however, It likely wouldn't be covered.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've already visited BMW dealer, and they've told me that it's most likely a foreign object (coin?) that fell into the console from the outside, and that they will not be able to cover it under warranty. The plastic console is fairly easy to snap off, but then the wood trim that runs on both sides of the console is another problem altogether, as I have not been able to figure out how to safely detach the wood console without damaging it. I need to know what tools I might need, and instruction on removing it.
Expert:  Edward replied 10 months ago.
Alright, I looked and unfortunately my reference doesn't cover a 2015 x5. It usually takes a couple of years for them to get into the aftermarket world. I will opt out and hopefully another expert can get this information. thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert was not able to give me an answer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.