rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Vehicle won't start but battery seems fine. I just hear a clear

Customer Question

Vehicle won't start but battery seems fine. I just hear a clear a click or the sound of a actuator of some sort
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's just it just a click and the sound of a actuator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if it's a simple fix
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checking the battery
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.It sounds like you have a bad starter motor, and the clicking you are hearing is the starter solenoid.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So it can't be the starter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I mean the alternator
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im hoping this is a one time fee
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Possibly, but the battery needs to be charged and tested first before anything else.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron