mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

323i: I have a 99 323i. Ive owned it a year. i live in minnesota

Customer Question

I have a 99 323i. Ive owned it a year. i live in minnesota and all winter it was hard to keep it running first thing in the morning. after it warmed up it drove fine. then a couple months ago i would be driving and it would lose power, i would step on the gas and nothing. id have to pull over shut it off, start it, sometimes over and over til the idle seemed right. then after an oil change, my car started losing power and then the engine over heated and battery light came on, i got home and realized the serpentine belt and idler pulley broke. i got that fixed and then the engine started smoking one day. i realized it when i arrived home. the smoke was coming from the passenger side of engine . i replaced the valve cover gasket which was completely shot! if i run codes 9 come back. p0101, p1189, p1188, p0306, p0340,p,0173,p 0170, p0740, and p1770. after i replaced valve cover gasket, the hose to ccv broke, and i seen there were holes in intake boot. so i replaced boot and the hose. i started the car and it finally idled right. no smoke, had power.... but the transmission fault light was on, i realized i forgot to hook up maf sensor. i connected it and turned on the car, poor idle, smoke coming from same spot on passenger side. i replaced entire ccv and hoses and maf. again it will drive fine with maf unplugged, smokes and rough idle no power when its plugged in. what do i need to do to get it running right.
Category: BMW
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.
if it runs good with the maf unplugged but terrible with it plugged in you need to replace the maf. that is a typical sign of a bad maf. if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you would leave me a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did replace it.
with what brand maf?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it from bavarian autosports. Said it was genuine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does the passenger side down by exhaust start smoking when maf is plugged in?
ok they have good products i know them. it probably starts smoking because the engine is being leaned out for some reason when it is plugged in and the exhaust temps are hotter so it is burning off the residual oil from the valve cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So what do i do to fix that
i am going to opt out and allow another expert to chime in. normally your symptoms point to the maf but you have a new one. so without being there to connect my diag equipment it is hard to give a direction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help! I tried to give you a rating but it wouldnt let me...