Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

1997 e39 BMW, when driving at around 40kmperhour a noise In

Customer Question

1997 e39 BMW, when driving at around 40kmperhour a noise In The rear of the vehicle can be heard this is on a straight road and when turning. the clicking growling noise is more frequent the faster you go. Unsure if is diff or wheel bearings or something else
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I gotten need the car to see if there is anything loose or in the way of the driving axles, just in case it was a heat sheild, next step was going to be to open the diff and drain to see if there are any teeth missing, I just bought the car on auction without drive testing it he can I am stuck with this problem. Motor runs smoothly and gears shift smoothly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: Well it has 240,000km on the cluster
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
does the noise change as you turn?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No it's the same
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked..thank you for your attention to the rating that case the problem is almost certainly the differential. wheel bearing noise usually changes when the weight of the vehicle shifts during a turn. having the vehicle raised and a stethoscope used should be able to easily confirm.Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok if it's the diff what should I be looking for other thank some grinding teeth and what steps would I take to overhaul it, are there any kits out there
Expert:  Steve replied 5 months ago.
you should just be looking for noise coming directly from the diff and for dirty/gritty fluid. typically the diff is just replaced when it fails. as the question has been answered please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating