Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

I am looking location of the crankshaft position sensor

Customer Question

i am looking for the location of the crankshaft position sensor on a 2005 x5 e53 4.4
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: location of the crankshaft position sensor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes its easy i just dont know if its the top or bottom of the engine
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing i just bought the part
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: the dash reads "engine failsafe prog...trans failsafe prog"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.
Hello Im Chris and I will assist you
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 5 months ago.
Hi, are you still looking for help on this issue?
There are 2 possible locations for this sensor depending on your engine management system. I have attached photographs of shows it located on the lower left hand side of the engine directly between the engine and transmission bellhousing; this would be accessed from the bottom of the vehicle. The other shows it located on the left hand rear of the engine ,near the middle; this could be accessed from the top or bottom of the vehicle, but most likely would be more easily accessed from the bottom. I hope this information helps and if you still need help, please don't hesitate to ask! Have a great day
Hi, I just wanted to check in and see if the information I provided helped you find the sensor. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Also please remember to leave a positive rating!
Hi, this is Josh checking in with a reminder to please leave a positive rating if you were pleased with my service, and let me know if I can do something further for you if you werent. The rating system is the only way we are graded (or paid!) so please take a quick moment to do this. Thank You!