Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

325XI E90: , I have a BMW 325XI E90. The Crankshaft snapped.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a BMW 325XI E90. The Crankshaft snapped. How do I determine if an engine is compatable. Does it ned to be the exact same year and model?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you. First, I need to know where you are getting the engine from. Usually a salvage yard is able to help with this kind of thing. If you are planning on getting a used engine, calling your local salvage yard with the year, make and model, or better yet a VIN number, will let them help you find out which engine would be compatible for your vehicle. Many BMW engines were used across several year ranges and platforms.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Using a friend network. I can call him on Monday. I also found one on Craigslist. I have not checked the salvage yards yet. Also, they can say it will fit and leave out that it will take an adapter kit etc. Ultimately, I would like a straight match.
I agree, I would not want to go through the hassle of an adapter kit, especially in a BMW. What year is this vehicle? I will try to see what I can find for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is info by: From site http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
Chassis number KV09479
Vehicle code VD13
Series E90
Model 325xi
Body type saloon
Catalog model USA
Production date 2006 / 02
Engine N52
Transmission Unknown
Steering Left
Catalyzer YESAdditional Information for Vehicle code VD13
Production FROM : 2004/09/01 TO : 2006/08/31
Engine N52
Engine Oil 6.50 Liter
Transmission Automatic
Transmission Model GA6HP-19Z
Transmission Oil 9.50 Liter
Rear Axle Oil 1.00 Liter
Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 Liter
Coolant(with Air Conditioner) 8.40 Liter
Brake fluid 1.00 Liter
Remarks :
Transfer box (0Additional Information for Vehicle code VD13
Production FROM : 2005/03/01 TO : 2006/08/31
Engine N52
Engine Oil 6.50 Liter
Transmission Manual
Transmission Model GS6X-37BZ
Transmission Oil 1.60 Liter
Rear Axle Oil 1.00 Liter
Coolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 Liter
Coolant(with Air Conditioner) 8.20 Liter
Brake fluid 1.00 Liter
Remarks :
Transfer box (0
So from what I have been able to gather, your particular engine must come from another vehicle of not only the same year (2006) but also an all wheel drive. It does not seem to matter whether it is an automatic or manual transmission, but it absolutely has to be the all wheel drive version (xi). If you would like to tell me what area you are in, I would be glad to do a search for you using a salvage resource to find an engine near you.
Please let me know if I can help you with what I mentioned above or if you have any other questions! Otherwise, I would love a great review from you!Thanks,Josh
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in North New Jersey. The two N52 engines I am looking at dont have the info of what they came out of. Is there a number on it that can tell me if it is what I need?
I don't see any engines available for this vehicle near new jersey using my resource. There are 2 in north carolina that would fit for around $1900 with relatively low mileage (90,000 for the lowest). I was unable to find any information regarding a code on the engine to identify it by.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Josh, I would expect a BMW expert to help me identify the engine. Let me know what you find.
I am sorry I was unable to help you. I may not fully understand what it is you want me to do. I will opt out and open the question up for other experts to try and help. Good luck!
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
can you get the vins of the donor cars?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At this time, No. I only have 2 N52 engines that without the source
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
what is this then? Here is info by: From site http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgiChassis number KV09479Vehicle code VD13Series E90Model 325xiBody type saloonCatalog model USAProduction date 2006 / 02Engine N52Transmission UnknownSteering LeftCatalyzer YESAdditional Information for Vehicle code VD13Production FROM : 2004/09/01 TO : 2006/08/31Engine N52Engine Oil 6.50 LiterTransmission AutomaticTransmission Model GA6HP-19ZTransmission Oil 9.50 LiterRear Axle Oil 1.00 LiterCoolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 LiterCoolant(with Air Conditioner) 8.40 LiterBrake fluid 1.00 LiterRemarks :Transfer box (0Additional Information for Vehicle code VD13Production FROM : 2005/03/01 TO : 2006/08/31Engine N52Engine Oil 6.50 LiterTransmission ManualTransmission Model GS6X-37BZTransmission Oil 1.60 LiterRear Axle Oil 1.00 LiterCoolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 LiterCoolant(with Air Conditioner) 8.20 LiterBrake fluid 1.00 LiterRemarks :Transfer box (0
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
is that your car?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is the car I need to match an engine to. I have a CL picture of a block number of one engine. Its kind of fuzy.
I was hoping this would match some where/