spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Toyota dealership experience and BMW experience.

We are an indy shop working on a 2011 BMW X5 diesel. The

Customer Question

We are an indy shop working on a 2011 BMW X5 diesel. The vehicle came into us history unknown with a no start condition. It has 7 SCR related codes, 6 of them related to being out of start cycles with 0 miles to go and one of them stating that there is incorrect diesel exhaust fluid. We have topped off the def in both active and passive tanks, ran adaptation measures as directed by Ista D, and attempted to reset the SCR system but it seems to not be allowing a reset even though it says reset was successful. Therefore we cannot get rid of the check control message stating incorrect DEF. We believe that someone before us may have already reset the scr system (which ISTA says warns can only be done one time). If this is the case, and the SCR reset was already performed, are we able to reset using ISTA D or P? Or perhaps this is not what is causing us to be unable to reset SCR system after refilling it?
Category: BMW
Expert:  spoooolin replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried looking at SI B16 03 10 ? You could try complete car coding through ISTA P and try what the SI B mentioned above suggest. Let me know if that helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the response. I don't believe the SI you have posted is applicable as our DEF fluid levels are reading full through ISTA now, yet we are unable to clear the code stating incorrect diesel exhaust fluid. We believe this code is typically removed by running the SCR reset service function which states that it can only be done one time. We believe that it was likely reset previous to us handling the vehicle and that the additional 50 km which the reset provides has been exhausted. We have tried complete car coding through ISTA P and the code referring to incorrect DEF as well as the warning codes for mileage expiration and deactivation (3 warning levels) remain.
Everyone I have talked to today, has said complete car coding, then doing the re-set should do the trick. If that is not doing it, not sure ill be of anymore help unfortunately.