peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

The drivers side rear barn door sometimes will not unlock,

Customer Question

Hi, the drivers side rear barn door sometimes will not unlock, so I cannot open it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: using the remote or even manually sometimes I cannot get the driver side door to disengage. It is sporadic. I have taken it to the dealer but they cannot figure out what it is since it only happens once in a while.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no, I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow for other things and was hoping they could fix it once and for all. I have read that it may be an electrical glitch that sometimes happens.
JA: OK! The BMW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: Yes, I am also taking it in for a axel gasket leak in the front driver's side. I as quoted about $500 to fix by them and found it too expensive. I saw that the part is only about $50. and I am tired of paying them to fix things at such a high cost. I was quoted about 1/2 of that by my mechanic. what should I do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. It may be cheaper for your mechanic to repair the leak since he/she is quoting a cheaper cost.As long as he/she offers some type of warranty on the repair I would go this route. As for the door issue this can be caused by an internal electrical fault in the lock actuator itself intermittently.I have seen these fail before needing replaced.On most models this actuator is part of the latch itself and the latch itself usually needs replaced.The only way the dealer will know for sure on the cause is to have this tested when it is acting up to see if the latch itself needs replaced and to see if there are any wiring faults needing repaired or replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete