Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

The 2007 Bmw 328xi cranks but won't start. And gives me Obd

Customer Question

The 2007 Bmw 328xi cranks but won't start. And gives me Obd codes p164c and p0341. I have checked fuel pump and pressure, spark plugs, all fuses, and
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: And compression *
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've replaced the vanos solenoids, can shaft sensors, and crankshaft sensor.
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: Camshaft sensors *
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 7 months ago.
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)I am not sure what p164c means.To clarify you have a crank no start condition You have verified that you have Fuel pressureSparkCompression First I would check the valvetronic motor to make sure it is opening the valves you can over ride it by unplugging it and put a small allen socket (3mm I think) in the back of the motor and turn it a couple of rotations 3-4 ( I think it is counter clockwise) one way should be easy the other hard, one way is going with spring pressure and the other going against the spring you want it against spring pressure. WHen you do this is just the socket no rachet. Next if that doesnt do it, You will need to check valve timing to make sure the engine didnt lose time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Both ways are fairly easy to turn. And where should I be looking to see if the valves are being opened? Is it necessary to remove the valve cover? Or can I just remove the oil cap and look through there ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And yes cranks but won't start.
Expert:  Kenny replied 7 months ago.
I would try to start the engine after moving the valvetronic motor against the spring this will open the intake valves more.