Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1998 328i, around 52k miles . running great yesterday. Today

Customer Question

1998 328i, around 52k miles . running great yesterday. Today I started it up and it shakes like maybe a cylinder misfired? Did code read but reader said some other airbag thing. Any help would be great thanks!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a BMW. The BMW Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'd like to atleast ideally know what the problem is so I can either attempt on my own or bring it to dealer knowing what's wrong,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: Shake mainly happens when idling sitting still
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
there are many things that can cause rough running...
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
I would suspect most likely a bad plug or coil, an air leak, failed crankcase vent valve, airflow sensor or fuel pressure issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
if the check engine light comes on and you can get an actual code that will be very helpful in narrowing the possibilities down, otherwise many checks will need to be made to verify the root cuase
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.
did you have additional questions about this?
if you do not have any additional immediate questions, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer.
if you would like to follow up in the future, you can do so at any time without additional charge by returning to this link after leaving a positive rating
thank you in advance.