Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

Mini Cooper: can a leak from the cup holder in my 2009 Mini

Customer Question

can a leak from the cup holder in my 2009 Mini Cooper cause us to replace a faulty shift selector?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 6 months ago.
The answer to your questions is that it certainly can cause the shift selector and/or neutral safety switch to fail. If the sensors and switches are exposed to moisture that will cause an internal short. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I forgot to mention that these sensors and wiring run right below the cup holder in question.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
so how does a cup holder "leak" (were not talking an overflow here folks) in the first place? is this a design flaw in the Mini? and should it really cost almost $1,300? no car, foreign or domestic, that I've owned in at least 20 years has had a cup holder leak, much less into sensitive components of the trans.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still waiting for an answer to the above...and I guess I should ask: do you only work on BMW's or also on Mini's?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you going to respond? thought this was a continuing conversation.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Eric- you are non-responsive, and you still haven't answered my questions. Please opt out so I can I can open this up to other experts for review.
Expert:  eauto replied 6 months ago.
how did you determine the cup holder is leaking? are you sure it wasn't caused by a spill?