Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

325i: Husband jumped another car with our 2006 BMW 325i he

Customer Question

Husband jumped another car with our 2006 BMW 325i he drove the gas station turned the care off to pump gas tried to crank it back and it would not start.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what exactly does the car do when you try to start it?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
please reply here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When we try to start it it just makes a humming noise and that's it. Nothing else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will not start from a jump off either
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
sorry for the delay. so the starter motor does not engage?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
did you want to know possible causes for this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The starter makes a humming noise but it will not crank. I have no idea what happened to it it worked perfectly fine until my husband jumped a guy off with it he then drove it to the gas station turned it off to pump gas and it would not crank any longer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
habe you ever had that happen before? Everything comes on but it will not start
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I would like to know what the causes are so that we go in right direction for having it repaired.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
there are many things that can cause this, this is not rare at all. I have head of this many, many times.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
in terms of things to try the the first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems. Also, try locking/unlocking the driver’s door a few times using the mechanical key.Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump or the key in door unlocking, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
1) bad key - try another one2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start. Try rocking the car back and forth in park a couple times.6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.7) bad start button or steering lockOf course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or problem with the engine control computer or other control module, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.The best path forward, if one of the simpler items above does not pan out, is to have the car scanned with a BMW scan tool that can check all systems live and determine where the start signal is dropping off / getting inhibited. As I said, you most likely need a new starter - chances are probably 90% this is the cause.if you need a non dealer for this repair check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options the most likely cause in your case is the starter, the CAS immobilizer or steering lock
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
please reply if you have follow up questions about your vehicle. if you do not have any follow ups please complete the question via positive rating. if you would like to follow up after leaving a positive rating, you are free to do so at any time with no additional charge by returning to this post. thank you