Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My name is ***** ***** 2002 bmw 525i e39 has a few codes (p0300,

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** ***** 2002 bmw 525i e39 has a few codes (p0300, p1342, p1345 and p1353) popping up with a very rough idle and a mechanic told me there's no compression in cylinder 6. He says the engine is pretty much gone. Is there a possible fix or check I can do? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What kinds of detail are you looking for? I swapped coils and no change. The rough idle does not go away no matter how long the car is on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
have you personally verified that there is no compression in cyl 6?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not personally. I don't have the tools necessary for that. Is there a simple way too check?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
you would need a compression guage, that is the only way to test.
if there is a cylinder with no compression, then there is no short cut to fixing it. the engine would need to be replaced over torn down and rebuilt. Either of these options is likely too expensive to be worthwhile I am afraid.
I am sorry if you were hoping for a different answer, please don't shoot the messenger. I trust that my honesty is appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for answering your question and that I receive nothing for my time and answer until a positive rating is clicked.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle