Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

550i: I have 2007 550i with code P0797. My mechanic believes

Customer Question

I have 2007 550i with code P0797. My mechanic believes it is the Mechatronic unit. The original problem is that the shifter is being locked after starting and has to be released with the shifter release button.
Category: BMW
Expert:  PLCUSTOMER-mzof8sxf- replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I would be happy to help you with this issue. Have you had anything else done on the vehicle prior to this issue arriving?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No recent work before this started to occur. It was taken to my local independent (closest BMW dealer is 240 miles away) for repair as the problem kept occurring (locked out of shifter after starting). They say they found two codes, one is the P0797, the other they said was related to the shifter. Being the cheaper part ($700 - ouch), they went the route of a new shifter. After install, the problem came back the next day. The shop is recommending a new mechatronic unit as an installed cost of $4200.