Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Got a 2000 BMW 328i, lately it's been behaving in a weird way.

Customer Question

got a 2000 BMW 328i, lately it's been behaving in a weird way. you wanna go somewhere it wont start one hour later starts without any problem. also codes p1520 and p1519 came up today.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
what does the car do exactly when you try to start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no crank no start all the lights come on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
lets continue with text
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
that is not related to your codes.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the most likely causes of what you are experiencing is a faulty key or failing starter
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
other possibilities include a faulty brake light switch, trans or clutch switch, or immobilizer issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I would start by trying a second key and then have the starter checked out
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
if those both check out you will need to have the can scanned with a factory BMW scan tool when the issue is present to validate the cause.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the starter is new, and I have new ignition switch
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the starter could be defective, although that is unlikely. if the starter is not the cause the rest of my answer stands
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can you give more info on this, trans or clutch switch, or immobilizer issue.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
do you have auto transmission or manual?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
automatic
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the transmission needs to send a signal to the car that it is in p or n to enable start. if the switch that signals this is faulty, start is prevented. you can also try starting in neutral when this happens to see if anything changes.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the immobilizer is what senses that they correct key is present (via computer chip in the key) then signals the ECU to enable start. if the immobilizer or its antenna that senses the key is faulty, the car will not start
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
immobilizer has no problem was checked by bmw but wanted a lot of money to repair the ,car
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
BMW would need to check it when the issue was present to know for sure if the issue was the immobilizer or not.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
if BMW has identified the cause, I would have to defer to whatever hands on diagnostics they have carried out, regardless of quoted price.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I have provided a list of the most common things that will cause a no crank no start. if some have been checked, that is fine, the rest need to be checked when the issue is presenting itself.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am still not satisfied
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need a solution not theories
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
how can I give you a solution when I am not at the car?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
and full, definitively testing has not been carried out?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
this is a question and answer website, I can answer questions that are asked. I have answered every question that has been asked so far.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
if you have additional questions, please ask them. if you do not have additional questions, please select a rating of OK/3stars or higher to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer out of the funds you have already paid to open your question.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
your answers are not good enough. I have never had a problem with brake lights or the transmission
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
my answers are not good enough? what question has not been answered?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
I am going to opt out of your question, perhaps another expert can provide the solution you are looking for remotely.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
am not satisfied at all
Customer: replied 7 months ago.