Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2000 740iL battery dead. Aaa came jumped battery and navigation

Customer Question

2000 740iL battery dead. Aaa came jumped battery and navigation system went black. He said battery was still good, didn't know what the problem was but let the car run. Did that but didn't help. Two weeks later another dead battery. Went through the same thing only now, along with the previous and still dead nav system the rest of the dials and gauges went dead. Now AAA says too bad so sad. But I've been reading and some sites say you shd remove the battery and disconnect the nav system before you jump the battery. What do I do? Lora.
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes after they jumped the battery
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: Jst three years
JA: Anything else I can tell the BMW Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No don't think so
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
can you please clarify what your question is? I am not sure how to interpret "what do I do?"
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Why jumping the battery would cause the navigations system to go black and two weeks later another dead battery , jumped it and the gauges all went blank. Is it jumping the battery without taking it out or shd he have disconnected the nav system before jumping the battery. Any infor u hav would be helpful. Thank u.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
old nav units in these 7 series are pone to failure due to voltage fluctuation. But no, it is not common practice to unhook the nav before jumping, that is not a required step and I am afraid this isn't AAAs fault at all.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
the instrument cluster can also fail due to voltage fluctuation but also a simple blown fuse could do it, so you should be sure to check fuses if you have not
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
in terms of multiple flat batteries, this could simply be a bad battery (regardless of if it tested ok)
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
it could also be a parasitic drain caused by a faulty electrical unit on the car drawing power when it shouldn't be
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
you would need to have current draw tested to know if this is happening or not.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing good to say
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
pardon?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
you asked for what info I could provide on these issues and I have provided what I can. if you have a follow up question please ask. otherwise please select a rating of ok/3stars or higher to complete the question and ensue I receive credit for my time and answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
you asked for what info I could provide on these issues and I have provided what I can. if you have a follow up question please ask. otherwise please select a rating of ok/3stars or higher to complete the question and ensue I receive credit for my time and answer...