peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

530xi: Ok I have a 2006 530xi wagon and trying to troubleshoot

Customer Question

Ok I have a 2006 530xi wagon and trying to troubleshoot an issue with the soft close motor for the liftgate. BMW calls this the trunk lid power lock drive.
Symptoms are the liftgate closes but the soft close motor fails to power on and pull the liftgate all the way close. I've tested the motor and microswitch in the assembly and they both work correctly.
Question - How does the soft close motor know to activate? What is the trigger?
Next question - When I took apart the motor assembly I think the gear for the microswitch may have spun. Does anyone know the correct orientation? Should the switch be open or closed when the latch is full closed? See attached pic.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As a followup... Everything else with the power hatch checks out ok. The solenoid and microswitch in the actual latch appear to work fine as well. I tested with INPA and can see the liftgate sensor switch go from on to off when I open / close it.
Problem is isolated to whatever should be supplying 12V to the power lock drive is not doing so when the latch fully closes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Found answer to second questions. Micro switch is closed when liftgate is fully closed.I see the motor is controlled by a relay (K207) which is controlled by the basic body module (KBM).
Where are the locations of this module and the relay for it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I've already resolved issue. There was a break in the power wire feeding the K207 relay.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. Usually this type of fault here is caused by an internal fault with the latch itself needing replaced.I have had to replace the lift gate latch several times before for this issue here even when it appeared to test o.k. in some cases. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete