Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

535i: have a 2010 BMW 535i wagon . Had oil smell and slight

Customer Question

have a 2010 BMW 535i wagon . Had oil smell and slight loss of oil over time and had the work to correct the problem done at a bmw dealer. replaced gaskets,etc at a cost of $2200. Vehicle has 117,000 miles with perfect scheduled maintenance records. Driving it on the thruway, the engine cut out at 75 miles per hour. Would not start. Sent vehicle to another bmw dealer who said the previous work had not been performed properly by a your apprentice they used and reattached some vacume hoses to the valve covers. Seemed to work ok until the engine froze 1 week later being driven at 25 miles per hour. BMW dealer suggested a new engine would cost 17k plus 5k for installation. There was a recall on this engine in 2014 for defective cam shaft housing screws. Don't know what to do
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Your best bet will be to appeal to BMW customer service and the original dealer for goodwill assistance in covering the cost of this repair. Unfortunately it will be difficult to prove that any negligence contributed to this, but it is worth a shot
If you are unable to secure goodwill assistance then I would suggest investigating a used engine as it is not worth spending for a new one
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.