Lou P
Lou P, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.

I have a 2010 Mini Copper S with a 296a inlet cam sensor

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2010 Mini Copper S with a 296a inlet cam sensor code and also have long cranks before starting. Inlet cam sensor was replaced, checked the timing chain, seem tight, no broken guides, cleaned the intake valve manually a few times, that took care of the random misfire, but the 296a code keep coming back on, pending code come on pretty quick sometime long than other times.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: can carbon build up on the intake valve throw a 296a?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Lou P replied 6 months ago.
Hello,This fault can be caused by timing. The chain tensioner may have allowed the chain to skip a tooth or two or the VANOS unit may be faulty. Most often this is due to incorrect timing. if the engine has some signs of oil sludge, probably it damaged the vanos gear (which is on intake cam bolted).You could try a VANOS solenoid first as this can be clogged. hope this helps. Lou P. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.
Expert:  Lou P replied 6 months ago.
Hello, checking back to see if there was anything that was keeping you from rating me 5 stars, if so please let me know so i can do my best to assist , thanks, ***** *****