Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

328i: 1996 bmw 328i, my brake light was out, so i went to

Customer Question

1996 bmw 328i, my brake light was out, so i went to the dealer and got a new bulb and the bulb socket, also got the same for the right hand side as well, put the in but it dose not want to work?? on both sides, want am i doing wrong, or is this a new problem??
Category: BMW
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Did you check your fuses? namely fuse number 46 a 15 amp fuse, it powers up the brake light switch, Do you have a test light or volt meter by chance?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when i left up the fuse box, i can see 6 blue 15amp fuses, they all look good, none brokern, but not sure how to find the number 46 fuse in the box?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Do you have a test light by chance? or a volt meter, I'd like to test power to the VIOLET/GREEN wire to the brake light switch.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Here is the diagram I have on it. Checking power in and out of the brake light switch is what I believe needs to happen next.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Here is the diagram.
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Your fuse box under the hood looks like this Charles? correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Same layout but different
Missing the following 2,3,5,13,17, plus the 31-46 is all full and my colors are different on the ABS 216 square fuses, have a volt meter
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, that blue fuse in the top left corner on your picture. is that fuse hot with key ON? and is it good?
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
It looks good, but I want you to check power to it with key ON.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The wire you want me to test is coming out of the back light, yes, but I do not see that color combo, pic 1 is left side pic 2 is right
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes the volt meter on the blue fuse is lighting up
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, it's good then. Look up under the dash, above the pedals, do you see a component that looks like this? With one white and one black connector .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I see this
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Yes, it will be under that plastic cover. If it has a check module. You can google check module BMW 328 and see what I'm referring to. The next step is to check power in and out of the brake light switch anyway, so go ahead and remove that panel and check the power in and out of the brake light switch. It could just be a failed switch,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How dose come apart, I see 1 screw and this
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Let me opt out, I have to do a dinner this evening, and this question is likely going to take more time than I have this evening. Another expert can assist when I put it back up on the board. Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Noted thank you for your help thus far