peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

645: I have a question here and I really need help I'm supposed

Customer Question

I have a question here and I really need help I'm supposed to purchase today a 2005 BMW 645 with 87000 miles the car is Flawless and absolutely beautiful the gentleman that I'm buying it from is telling me that it needs a battery and an alternator the car throws a transmission fault error number #88 on the car control unit EDG - SSG id code 172 and he tells me when driving the vehicle the transmission emergency program comes on and the vehicle will not go past 3rd gear any insight to what this could possibly be please your help would be greatly appreciated
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If there is low voltage due to a weak battery and alternator this causes the electronics to act up and will cause fault codes to set as well as transmission electrical shifting issues like this here.I would have the alternator and battery tested for any issues and if any issues are found with either or both they will need replaced.You can ask to take it on a test drive again and drive it to a local parts store and they can test the battery and alternator at no charge to you in less then 15 minutes usually.Once the low voltage issue is found this should correct any transmission issues you see here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete