Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

318ti: I have a 1998 318ti with 279000 miles Recently

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1998 318ti with 279000 miles
Recently it lost its acceleration ability
When merging onto freeway there is no accelation of any kind and forget going up a hill if traveling at a decent speed and having to slow down the car cannot accelerate so I hv to move to slow lane I'm not able pass cars for fear the car won't accelerate with enough speed to pass safely.
The cars RPM dose not move to 5 when pressing / accelerating the gas peddle
I took to Crevier BMW in Santa Ana ,ca but they said it's running they way it's been designed 🤔
Any suggestions how to resolve
I heard possibly the fuel pump? Spark plugs? Need Changing.
Thank you
Corona ,ca
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
what if you rev the car in neutral? do the rpms go to 5?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not sure haven't tried that
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Anything else I should try
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
if the car is suffering a loss of power then the first things to explore are fuel delivery and fuel / air mixture.
the common issues would be low fuel pressure (fuel pump, filter, regulator), poor airflow (filter) or mixture faults (airflow sensor, air leak, o2 sensors, temp sensor)
I would definitely start with a new air filter, fuel filter and plugs and then move on from there with additional checks of the above
if you need a non dealer that probably works more with this age of vehicle I would check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options near you
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Regarding the rpm going to 5 I'm currently in a parking lot and I pressed the accelerator and it did start to go up to 3 1/2 4 but I don't feel comfortablyIs it ok to press on the break while pressing the accelation 🤔
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating
yes it is fine to press the brake while pressing the accelerator. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so your suggestions should resolves
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
my suggestions cover the most common and likely causes of what you are experiencing so yes they should resolve the issue, and worst case finding a shop per the referenced sites I've listed will ensure resolution. As the question has been answered, please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
..
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
if you would like to follow up after leaving a positive rating, you are free to do so without additional charge by returning to this link in the future, after leaving a positive rating. thank you in advance for your attention to the rating requirement.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
hi, are you having a technical problem selecting a positive rating?
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
..