sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1991 535 i bmw will not ideal & runs ruff - put a brand new

Customer Question

1991 535 i bmw will not ideal & runs ruff - put a brand new ideal control stabilizer. Starts then will not ideal - does ramdomly sometimes run...
Michael
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
what diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
None, chnaged the filter, and put a new idle control - with bmw's does the codes need to be cleared after changing a new part like that - the check engine light comes on most of the time ???
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I can see that you have had many questions answered before but not been happy with many replies. can you please clarify what question exactly you would like answered so that I can be sure to provide the answer you are looking for.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Steve,
Please refer to first question - that's all - doesn't idle???
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
??????
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also - one more question - do you have to erase the codes for the new part to function??????
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
hi,
do you want to know what possible causes are? I am not sure what the exact question is?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Steve,I'm trying to fix my car of course I'm asking you how to fix it.
1. When you put in a part like idele control stabilzer do you have to clear the codes for it to work ?
2. car will not idele - will run ruff & stall - will run normal at higher speed just fine
3. help, please
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!In the case of a powertrain component codes wouldn't need to be cleared to allow a new part to function, but codes shoudl always be cleared after a repair to know if the repair was successful or not. Are there codes setting currently?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The check engine light is on most of the time, but codes aren't cleared - need to take it to bmw dealer it's a 91
The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to determine what codes are setting, diagnose and repair those issues.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to take it to a bmw dealer to do that???
I thought you could figure it out by the problem???Do you work on bmw??
Thanks,Michael
It isn't possible to know exactly what is causing a problem remotely and without testing. If you know what codes are setting I can give possible causes and a general course of action, but it isn't possible to know exactly what is causing a problem without in person testing.Codes can be read by a dealer or any individual which has a scan tool that will communicate with the vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
scan tool that will communicate with the vehicle - where would i find that???
To purchase for yourself?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
went to the auto place - not to be rude, but are you a bmw mechanic or have you worked on them. There is no scan tool before 1996 that you can buy at the automotive store - please share???
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
I didn't say that you could purchase a scan tool for this at a parts store, and most parts stores wouldn't sell an actual scan tool. This is pre OBDII and requires a proprietary BMW cable and scan tool.