Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Mini Cooper S: I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S that overheats at

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mini Cooper S that overheats at high speeds, even at night. Temperature is normal while idling and while driving at low speeds. I've changed the thermostat, overflow tank and cap already which have made no difference.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bruce,I would be looking at the airflow through the radiator, leaf litter etc caught in the A/C condensor or radiator, or the radiator core is partly blocked and needs a clean out, or replace the radiator.Hope this helps you.Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks I will try that.

Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bruce,I would price a radiator, aftermarket would be cheaper than genuine.If the price is ok, I would just replace the radiator, and blowvout the condenser from the back.Run a genuine thermostat.Then see how it goes.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Bruce,How have you gone with your problem?Do you need any further assistance?Gary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I Gary, I replaced the thermostat with an OEM thermostat and replaced one of the fans and that resolved the overheating problem. But now I have a small miss when I start the engine however it gets better when I start driving.

Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Bruce,If you are now happy with the cooling system, and there is no loss of coolant, that is a good start.You say this misfire wasn't present before your last repair?Is it only there on cold start, and how long does it misfire for?Does the car still have the power it would normally have?It may be time for spark plugs out for inspection.Hopefully you don't have a head gasket or piston ring issue from the overheating.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Bruce,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regards Gary