Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

X5: E53, 2003, 4.4i. Fuse 48 keeps blowing resulting in climat

Customer Question

E53, 2003, 4.4i. Fuse 48 keeps blowing resulting in climat control unit not working
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,BMW has released a service bulletin that deals with the #48 fuse blowing and it deals with a short in the harness in the driver's side knee pad area between the instrument panel carrier and the IHKA housing. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for you review . Have a look and see if this is the source of your short. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuse%20%2348%20Apr%205.pdf
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried this but couldn't see anything obvious
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Well then the only other thing you can do it to try eliminating each component from the circuit to see if you ca narrow it down from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry hit send by accident.
I removed HVAC and cleaned unit (compressed air), re-installed and replaced fuse. With AC button 'on' , started car and fuse blew after a few seconds.
Replaced fuse and with AC button 'off' (but auto fan 'on') and started car, fuse didn't blow. I've now been driving car for 2 days (total 1.5 hours), fuse still not blown.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.
Try disconnecting the AC compressor first and see if the fuse holds, if it still blows then try disconnecting the blower motor.