Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

I have a 2002 BMW 525i and I ordered an automatic transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2002 BMW 525i and I ordered an automatic transmission for it but they sent me the wrong one. It was installed after the time that I could send it back. I wanted to know if I got the transmission computer that was compatible to thettransmission that I have, will it work because it does bolt up and everything fits. They sent me a GM transmission and the other one is the foreign transmission. The GM transmission has internal range sensor and the other one has external range sensor. Can you tell me if I change the computer to the GM transmission will it work?
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: The new one is 2003
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Car is great
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the BMW Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Can the external wireing be wired to the internal wiring
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 6 months ago.
No that transmission will not work, You will need to get another one.