Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have 2006 bmw x3 automatic 3.0 with 148,000 and ive just

Customer Question

I have 2006 bmw x3 automatic 3.0 with 148,000 and ive just owned it a month and 4x4 light stays on and you dont here nothing from the rear until you turn either way at slow speeds and then it sounds like gears a slipping.Heres what ive tried so far and hasnt helped - changed fluid in rear differential with bmw fluid and also added 4ounces of stuff for noise,checked acuator gear in transfer case and its ok,got new tires,and got allignement front and back.PLEASE HELP!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when i push the dsc button under radio it doesnt light up,i thought someone may have pushed it by accident but nothing changes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What kind object are you seeking with this? Did you want to know possible causes? Something else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what it could be because I have to fix it myself,can't afford to take to bmw mechanic.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
what faults are logged in the car's computer fault memory?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No faults are showing when I hook it up .The 4x4 light stays on but no faults.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
what kind of scanner are you using to scan it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
autel ms300
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
unfortunately that scanner cannot read 4x4 / dsc codes from this vehicle.
the likely cause of this light is a transfer case malfunction or failed steering angle sensor but you will need to have the car scanned with a factory BMW scan tool or equivalent that can read faults from this system to verify.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.