sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My name is ***** *****. My issue is that the lights are

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. My issue is that the lights are flickering and my car will not start. I am concerned that my ecu is fried
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I work away from home so my car sat, undriven for about 4 months. It wouldn't start when I got back home. I attempted to jump start it and the negative jump cable slipped off the ground. After that, the lights flicker and the engine will not attempt to crank.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If polarity was reversed or something of that nature then you may have module damage or blown fuses, but if the cable simply came off and didn't touch anything that it shouldn't have then that shouldn't' have been an issue.

It sounds as if the battery has failed. Have you had it load tested or tried a known good battery?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't tried that yet, but I was told if I change the battery myself, that could activate the anti theft system. Is that true?

After battery voltage is regained then you'll just need to press the unlock button on the key fob to disarm the alarm.