peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

My 320d when ignition is switched on the temperature gauge

Customer Question

my 320d when ignition is switched on the temperature gauge goes into the red and does not start. the bmw garage cannot fix the problem as maintain to do with wiring and keep on testing
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was the engine coolant temp sensor ever replaced as I assume this is the engine coolant temp that is moving to the red am I correct?

Can you tell me what all has been done to try and locate or repair this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no the engine coolant temp sensor was not replaced
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the BMW garage has it on their computer to diagnose but cannot trace the problem as talk about wires needing to be checked?

If this is the engine temperature gauge that is moving into the red like this here the most common cause is the engine coolant temp sensor itself needing replaced or an issue with the wiring leading to the temp sensor needing checked for any damage and repaired as well as the engine coolant temp sensor connection checked for damage or corrosion needing replaced.

In most cases it is the engine coolant temp sensor itself that needs replaced and on this model this can disable the engine starting when the engine computer thinks the engine is hot like this here.

I would start with having this sensor replaced and the wiring and connection checked at and leading to the sensor for any issues needing repaired or replaced as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete