peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2005 mini S/hatchback with a straight shift. This

Customer Question

I have a 2005 mini cooper S/hatchback with a straight shift. This morning when i cranked the engine up the power steering was not working. I stopped on the way to work and turned the engine off. when i cranked back up the power steering worked. What do i need to check for? I can't even find in my manual how to check the power steering fluid. Thank you..
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your model here uses an electro-hydraulic steering system meaning it is half electronic and half hydraulic.I dont suspect this is a fluid loss issue here as usually you would still have the issue on start up again and since the fault went away when you restarted it this sounds like a component with the electronic part of the system is at fault needing replaced.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your model here.Once this has been done any codes set need to be diagnosed to locate and correct this issue.I suspect a sensor at fault or the electronic control unit possibly acting up needing replaced.This will have to be checked into and tested further to pinpoint and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete