Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

My 2008 650i is leaking oil badly. Just overnight, the

Customer Question

My 2008 650i is leaking oil badly. Just overnight, the pattern of the oil puddle beneath it is about twice as long as a finger, and about same width. As a result, the car smokes when you pull to a light after engine is warm.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car has 135,000 miles. I would like to know if using a heavier oil, like castrol 10w-60 would help.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Using heavier oil will not help. You need to have the leak repaired. The most common leaks in this engine are the timing covers, valve covers and alternator bracket but it will need to be verified hands on
If the car is smoking from the tail pipe when you stop and then pull off, this is a different issue causes by leaking valve seals. Again heavier oil will not help. The seals need to be replaced.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Expert:  Steve replied 7 months ago.
If you have a follow up question it needs to be posted in this thread. If you do not have a follow up question please kindly click on a positive rating to complete the question