Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

The ASC light stays on, it says the engine is in the

Customer Question

The ASC light stays on, it says the engine is in the Failsafe Mode and I am getting the OBD codes: P0120 and P0221.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it. The car drives fine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. I had it in the shop, but they don't specialize in European cars. They claim the guy who reads codes for European cars quit, so they had to take it to someone else to get the codes read. I could have given them the codes. They came up with like 8 codes. Finally, they said it was a cracked intake hose and replaced it. I expected that it would go into the Failsafe mode after 40 miles or so and that is what happened. Now I need to take it to someplace else.
JA: OK! The BMW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: No. I had the engine completely rebuilt about 60K miles ago. About a month ago I had the ignition coils and sparkplugs replaced and I had all four of the oxygen sensors replaced.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What are the Asc codes?