Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Ok.. I have a 2003 Z4. Today the car will not start.

Customer Question

Ok.. I have a 2003 Z4. Today the car will not start. Everything works, dashlights, head lights, door locks. But turning key to start position, will not engage starter. I checked starter wiring and other wiring harnesses. The car started once but when shut off, would not start again. Am thinking Immobilizer or key fob sensor not working.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. Am going to dealer in the morning to pick their brains. Havent found much of an answer on internet.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was able to jump the starter solenoid. It engaged and engine cranked, but no ignition of course.
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: not that I can think of. As I said, everything works, lights, radio, top, remote door locks, all warning lights work on dash, just no starting.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

hello, what question did you want answered about this? did you want to know possible causes for this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
All my searching on the internet points to the DME and EWS immobilizer modules needing repair and reprogramming. Is there any work around to this and a cheaper alternative to rebuilding the DME and matchingEWS
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
if the ews is out of alignment, it simply needs to be reprogrammed
if the ews has failed, it will need to be replaced and reprogrammed
if the dme has failed, it will need to be replaced and reprogrammed
there is next to zero chance both the ews and dme are bad at the same time
none of this can be confirmed until the vehicle is scanned with a factory BMW scan tool
the only workarounds for an ews issue are to a) send out the dme for aftermarket programming or b) purchase the ews, dme, keys, key cylinders all from the same donor car and install all of them in your car (may still need programming, however). Neither of these is worth the hassle, time or cost relative to simply paying dealer prices for an ews replacement or reprogramming. if the dme happens to be bad you might be able to save a few hundred dollars getting a used dme and sending it out
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.