Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks

It won't start, 2006 BMW 325i, cranks but does not start.

Customer Question

It won't start
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2006 BMW 325i, cranks but does not start. Sounds almost like a car with the timing retarded too far. 75psi fuel pressure, visually confirmed coming out of injectors. Plugs will be dripping wet when cranked for 20 seconds or more. Have a second car present of same year/model, have swapped throttle body. Crank/cam sensors seems to be reading on our scanner. Spark is present on plugs. Have had valve cover off and engine is dirty, but nothing is amiss inside. No change with air mass meter or MAP connected or disconnected. fresh gas, car has been sitting for awhile. Compression is in the 140-160lbs range.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: See previous message.
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: This is a used car dealer car. We are told that this problem just 'happened.' It is pretty obvious the car has sat for awhile and has had some pretty poor work performed in the past. Innitially the wires for the crank sensor has been ripped off and all the breather hoses were broken. Both have been rectified.
JA: Our top BMW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the BMW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the BMW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you are sure you have good spark as well as fuel pressure and the engine will not start then the next steps would be to run a complete compression test. If you can get this done as well as scanning the system to see if there are any fault codes setting and post back with the results I will see if I can help you with this problem.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We have run a compression check, all cylinders are in the 235-240 lbs range. Complete system check for codes shows only that throttle plate is not set. Have tried to reset using the 'hold throttle pedal down fro 30 seconds' method with no success. We have an identical car in the shop that does run and have been using it as a comparison- I believe we have a problem in the eccentric camshaft.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

The throttle body should not keep it from starting , in most cases if the camshaft has an issue you would be seeing a fault code and or codes. The dripping wet lugs may also be an issue are you sure the injector are not over fueling the engine causing it to flood?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not sure. My scanner will not tell me the duration of the fire for the plug. We have been disconnecting the fuel line and clamping it to prevent more fuel from entering during extended cranking. Usually this will result in a brief start in which it sounds like 2 or 3 cylinders hit and then die. Pulling plugs out and spinning it around and cleaning the plugs and using some starting fluid also yield a brief sputter but no run. Looking at the backside of the valve with the intake off it looks like the valve are barely opening. During cranking, it sounds like the timing is off, as in the pulse of the coils is too early or late for proper ignition. I've worked on older Jaguars and it sounds just like when the cap is installed 180 out. Placing my hand over the throttle body or the exhaust yields sucking at the throttle and blowing out the exhaust. It does not look like anyone has been in the engine messing with the timing to set it 180 out. Playing with the eccentric camshaft motor we can unplug it and manually retard or advance it. Watching our scanner we can watch the requested and the actual degrees of rotation. Requested is usually around 65, actual with motor connected is usually around 55. Manually rotating to 65 or even out to 110 0r 120 yields an engine that spins over evenly and does not sound like its out of time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2CFB and 2D09 are the only codes present. My information says this about them:2CFB:
2CFB Throttle valve adaptation value
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have not been completed
Short circuit or signal interruption2D09:
2D09 butterfly valve
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have not been completed
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

If it spins like its not out of time it really should start , If you force the throttle open dose it them try and start?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does not. It has me completely stumped. Air, fuel, compression, seemingly at the right time... Won't go.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

The one thing that seems odd to me it the spark plugs fowling so quickly , that alone would keep it from starting.

I have done some digging and BMW has released a service bulletin dealing with the throttle body concern. Have a look at it and see if it may help you get this thing running. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We will swap out valve body with the one from the running car and see what happens. We have noticed that with the running car the butterfly will flutter when cranks, with our problem car it will not.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

With the wet spark plugs it make me think something is choking the engine . Give that a try and let see if it helps.