Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

We have a trans fail safe prog displaying on our vehicle. We

Customer Question

We have a trans fail safe prog displaying on our vehicle. We went to Auto Zone and they ran the code reader. It gave a P17e8. We were told that bmw did a switch one year with an "e" instead of a 3. The dealer we bought it from told us to reset it by unplugging the battery for 45 minutes. It has not reset. It won't shift gears at all and we are 500 miles from home where we bought it and the dealership can fix it. It had done it a few times prior and we pulled over and turned it of for a few minutes and the code would disappear and we could drive fine. This time it won't go away or reset. What can we do?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The BMW Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We need to get it back home to the dealer as we just bought it on Thursday and we are 500 miles away. We want to know if there is somethung we can do now as we also have to be back to work tomorrow morning.
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: It is a 2004 x5 4.4i. It also has the rear, side and brake light error popping up because the dealer has to fix those as well.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

All you can try is a hard reset. Disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 minutes and then reconnect. This resets all control modules to factory parameters.