peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

My 2008 1 series bmw has a brake light on and when i drive

Customer Question

my 2008 1 series bmw has a brake light on and when i drive it alight says park. I do not know how to release the e brake
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it feel like the e brake is engaged when you drive it?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I dont think so but my friend is a mechanic not a bmw mechanic and is coming over. Im a single 62 yr old lady and really cant afford these auto bills.

O.k.,Is this "Park" message coming up on the screen separate from the brake light or does the light say "Park Brake"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when i first put key in and start brake stays lit up. when i drive it Park is lit up and a Lit up P. I can text you a photo if you give me your cell number

If you can take a photo you can usually upload it here using the paper clip or upload icon.Can you do this and upload it here at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it will take some time I did ans your ? IT says P in a circle when driving when idling not in gear ity says brake?

O.k.,if you can upload this here this will help just let me know when your ready.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is dangerous for me to drive it for you to see the P in a circle lit up. I cant aford 26 extra dollars to talk to you. when staarted its has brake lit up. when driving A big p in a circle is lit up. P is for park right?

Have you released the park brake lever inside the vehicle all the way?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello i can not afford a live call are you there ??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there is no park brake lever in the car ? are you a real bmw mechanic?

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete