sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The top on my 330ci won't come up

Customer Question

The top on my 330ci won't come up
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a handful of things going on. The problem may be electrical, hydraulic or mechanical. The pump may not be running due to an electrical issue, There may be a mechanical problem preventing the top from moving, which would be rare and should be apparent. The problem could be a failure of the pump or a hydraulic leak and there isn't enough hydraulic pressure to move the top.

Do you hear the pump continue to run when trying to raise the top but it does not move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't hear the pump. The top was working until I reconnect 2 selfpowered subwoofer. Look like they are damaged, and their protective fuse are blown.

The subwoofers are damaged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They won't work at all,their fuses are blown. One of the speaker won't even allow place a new fuse in at the fuse slot,on the other one the fuse won't come out at all.

Have fuses F6, F35 and F46 been checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ones located on the gloves compartment?

Yes. Also check F42 and F12.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question: what sings I'm looking for, because I did notice that even when the silver filaments on the fuse is not broken their is a blackened/discoloration on the inside metal part of the fuse.

The metal strip inside would usually be melted but they can sometimes break and it not be apparent. If you question whether one is bad it would be best to substitute a known good fuse or test continuity with a voltmeter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. I will get back to you later today.

Great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're is the ambient temperature sensor location on a 2006 BMW 330ci Convertible?

It's under the left front of the vehicle mounted in the splash shield.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drivers side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed all the fuses you suggest,still top won't work. Also I noticed that the 2 rear windows won't come down.

Were any of the fuses blown and if so did the replacement blow again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None looked blown,replace them any way. Still top not working. Also AC not working,blowing hot air. Check fuse and wasted 2 can of freon

Do you have access to a scan tool that will communicate with the power top control module? It will be necessary to further diagnose the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which side is the ambient temperature sensor driver or passanger

The ambient temperature sensor won't cause an issue with the top, but as I mentioned earlier it's under the left side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You won't believe this one: I was disconnecting the wires connect to the battery from the damaged speakers, and accidentally disconnect the negatives ground of the car/battery. Guess what? After reconnecting the battery everything works,even the AC. Wow! I'm relieved but at the same time perplexed. What gives?

Disconnecting the battery would have cleared fault codes or may have allowed the module to work again if it was locked up electronically. I considered having you disconnect it but since you had fuses out I would have expected that to give the same results.

I'm glad everything is working again!