Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

I have two 1985 318's that are doing the exact same thing,

Customer Question

I have two 1985 318's that are doing the exact same thing, they both start then 10 seconds later they die, I've checked power to everything not getting a pulse signal to the fuel injectors
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Not starting
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fuel pumps, filter, checked power, and grounds
JA: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should be aware of about your BMW?
Customer: No pulse signal to fuel injectors
JA: Our top BMW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the BMW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the BMW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

if you're not getting a pulse to the injectors I'd 1st check the condition of the wiring and connection to the crank speed sensor that points to the front pulley

if this looks OK then I'd replace the crank sensor with a new part

I'd also check the condition of the ECU relay and fuses for corroded/ burnt contacts and damaged sockets

I'd also check the condition of the small ground wires that run out of the engine bay wiring loom and are secured to the engine with ring terminals and small bolts

and lastly check the condition of the MAF meter connector and wiring and that the flap moves easily under fingertip pressure

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you