Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have Clubman diesel 2008. I tried to use a spare key and

Customer Question

I have Clubman diesel 2008. I tried to use a spare key and the computer got confused. The car doesn't start and says there is an electronical problem. I disconnected battery cables and tried again, didn't help. What do I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think the car tries to remember the settings in spare key and got confused, because the spare key was not used in several months. Car doesn't start and shows warning lights which have nothing to do with the reality.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the final warning lights were "car electronics disorder sign, contact Mini repair"
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What exactly is your question about this? What information are you seeking!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how do i get the car running so i can drive it to service
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
it is not possible for the car to be confused by using the old key
most likely you have a weak battery, other power distribution issue, or failed control module
I would suggest that you try another key and also to jump start the vehicle or charge/replace the battery. If this does not get it to start, then unfortunately the vehicle will need to be towed as it has suffered a component failure which will prevent start until repaired.
I am sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for but I trust that my honest answer is appreciated. It is beyond my control to have the vehicle start if a component has failed preventing such.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.