Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I had the transmission replaced in 02 325ci 2 weeks ago and

Customer Question

i had the transmission replaced in 02 325ci 2 weeks ago and i noticed the key was not wanting to come out but i would grab the shifter to push it all the way in to park and the key would turn the rest of the way and come out. now im 375 miles from home and the shifter is not actiing like it is going into park all the way and the key will not come out nor can i get it to start back up. can you help
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what kind of help are you seeking ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
To know what I need to do to get the key out of my ignition. Or just get it to start back up
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
the car is designed to not release the key unless it is in park and not to start unless the car is in park or neutral
if you cannot physically get the car in park then there is no way to remove the key
in terms of starting, you can try starting in neutral
you can continue to try and force the shifter into park (slam it, etc) but you likely have an issue with the shift linkage due to the trans replacement which will need to be repaired.
if you need a local shop for this, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.