SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 years experience

I just bought a 2001 bmw 740il, that has been sitting years.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2001 bmw 740il, that has been sitting for 3 years. I had to put a new battery in it, of course. They said the owner drove it in the garage and said it was too hard to get in and out of, and there it sat for 3 years. The dash lights come on, insterament cluster, and even the starter cranks. But it will not start. It acts like it is not getting fire. Please help.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The BMW Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well, there isn't a bmw mechanic anywhere around here for at least 30 miles. Is there anything I can do myself?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: Yes. The stereo used to come on and now it dosent..
JA: Our top BMW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the BMW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the BMW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  SuperDave replied 7 months ago.

If it sat for that long the fuel tank and fuel system will need to be cleaned.The fuel filter needs to be changed.The old fuel gels up and can also clog the fuel injectors.