Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner, diagnostics, driveability tech

I have smoke coming out of my bmw x5 52 plate 3.0l just

Customer Question

I have white smoke coming out of my bmw x5 52 plate 3.0l just started while driving , with no noises and runs fine, the white smoke is all the time
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: was just parking one day when car got engulfed in white smoke. turned car off left it for couple of miniutes turned back on and it has a constant stream of white smoke
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: depend what the problem is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: no
JA: Our top BMW Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the BMW Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the BMW Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

White smoke indicates that it is burning coolant/water.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

Block tester available is:

Napa BK.(###) ###-####/p>

Part Number:

*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks