Kenny
Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican
14969438

In the process of buying 1998 540i there's an oil leak in

Customer Question

in the process of buying 1998 540i there's an oil leak in the front and I only drove car about a mile and could smell the oil burning no smoke runs good but there is a leak
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I looked at the engine and it seems to be right in the front where the oil leak is from a gasket
JA: OK got it. Last thing — BMW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 8 months ago.

There are some common oil leaks on that engine valve cover gaskets and upper timing case cover gaskets. Both could leak oil so it would drip on the exhaust manifold and cause a burning oil smell. As for cost they are labor intensive to replace. I would ballpark the repair at the dealer around $700-$1000.